Ransomware was involved in 10 percent of the 450 breaches handled by our Privacy and Data Protection team in 2016. This week’s news about a global ransomware attack is another example that this trend is on the rise.
Companies, governments and organizations around the world are grappling with what steps they should take to minimize their risks and prepare to respond.
We are currently advising clients who have been affected by this attack and thought you would benefit from these key preventive measures:
- Address patching and risk assessment practices.
- Develop and routinely implement employee awareness programs.
- Train your incident response team.
- Conduct mock breach exercises.
- Consider establishing and funding a bitcoin wallet.
- Vet your vendor relationships and review contracts.
- Review and update business continuity and disaster recovery plans.
If you experience an issue, please call our toll-free, 24/7 Data Breach Hotline at 855.217.5204 and speak with one of our SWAT team members, or email us at email@example.com.